Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 shutdown message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaselbe

Technical User
Nov 2, 2003
US
I am running WinXP and IE6. I have a ZoneAlarm firewall and up-to-date anti-virus software, and I do my Windows Uptdates. Sometimes (not often) when I'm browsing, I will get a window that pops up and says: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." When I click on the details tab I get the following info:

Error Signature: iexplore.exe
App. Version: 6.0.28.00.1106
Mod. Name: sdhelper.dll
Mod. Ver.: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 0007d8b6

One place this always seems to happen is when I go to the MSN Gaming Zone; after selecting a game, it starts to open up, but then I get the error message. I've tried turning off ZoneAlarm because of its pop-up stopping abilities, but this doesn't help. It also happens at a few other sites, but I can also go for days without IE6 choking. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi,
You have a BHO, browser helper object.........not good. Get a copy of free
BHO Demon, , or HijackThis!,
from . Either should cleans you machine of
this pest.
Also have a read of the faq below regarding keeping a system clear of malware.
This BHO may not be malicious but it is whats causing the issue.

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

I checked and I don't have any BHO's running (well, a couple, but they're good ones). However, I got to thinking about that sdhelper.dll. It turns out it is part of Spybot Search and Destroy, and a Google search showed other people having trouble with it by interfering with programs running, and also having great trouble removing it. I started the program up and went into Spybot's Immunize tab and uninstalled the "Browser helper to block bad downloads."
That fixed it. Thanks for getting me thinking along these lines.

Yes, I read those posts about search and destroy as well,
thats good to know,
thanks for the feedback,

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back