Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 "ignoring" proxy settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandHooHa

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
I have about 30 computers here running IE6. 28 of them run WinXP, and the other two run Win2k. Every computer picks up the proxy settings via Group Policy - they are set to use 172.22.0.1:80. However, when you first load an internet site, instead of trying to access the site through the proxy, it tries to connect directly to the IP of the website and, of course, it fails. On the IE5 machines here (of which there are about 800, and they work fine), when you try to go to any site, it will try to connect to 172.22.0.1 instead of the site directly.

As an interesting twist to this, once IE6 fails to find a site upon opening, if you hit refresh, it goes through the proxy and everything works fine until you restart IE6.

So IE6 is basically ignoring the proxy settings at first... and the people are complaining about having to refresh all the time. Should I run Winsockfix? I doubt that TCP/IP got broken on all 30 machines, as it appears to be an IE6 only issue.

Any suggestions are appreciated! If you need more info, let me know.

-Chris

Did you ever discover a fix for this issue? I'm experiencing the exact same thing.

I have all sorts of fancy resolutions for this, but I want you to wait for Service Pack 2 for XP.

When (should be very soon) Service Pack 2 becomes final, and you have applied it, lets discuss this issue again.

Thanks, but the last time I checked, you didn't make decisions about my environment. If you don't want to help, that's fine, but don't tell me how to administer my network.

My sincere apologies that you misunderstood the intent and point of my response.

The underlying basis of my suggestion to move to Service Pack 2 was that a greater richness is provided in Netsh.exe, and Group Policy as a result. As well, the entire TCP/IP and Winsock stack are redone.

Veterans of this forum can assure you that:

. I do not post to offend
. I do try to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back