Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 "Error on Line nnn Do you want to Debug" Random MSG 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexxSysProg

Programmer
Jul 2, 2004
US
I'm getting the above message on many different wesbite pages using IE6 . It happens randomly; sometimes once and sometimes a couple of times in a row.

At first I thought the web site had an error but that is hapenning on many web sites. I tried applying updates to IE and also upgrading to SP1 (the "About" doesn't say SP1) but the Microsoft site says that it is at the highest update level and there is nothing to apply.

Before I go through the work of removing IE and
re-installing it to see if that helps, does anyone have any suggestions?

I did not have the error in front of me when I entered the above. The exact message is: A Runtime error has occured. Do you wish to debug?
Line: nn
Error: object expected

I get the same thing in IE7, ususally referring to a jsp page that the web site is trying to run. I think it may be something in the security settings somewhere.

Any idea as to what to change? It is getting so bad now that there are pages that I cannot load at all because of the error. The page loading hangs after I say "no" to debugging.

Unfortuantely no, I've been through them and nothing seems to work. It may be nothing to do with it, but I did download a roots certificate update last night (they don't come as high priority or critical). I'll be monitoring the problem post this. This is used a lot by IE7 for security issues. Check for yourself, it may apply to IE6 as well.

Should come up as an update when you run ME updates as custom rather then express. Doesn't seem to be the problem though as I had the error again. All I can put it down to now is bad programming on the web sites.

I thought it was bad programming when it was one or two sites. But it is all over the place. I wonder if there is something that worked but wasn't supposed to work and they got away with it. And now something was changed in IE6 to fix that bug and you can't get away with it anymore.

Or, perhaps are what they are doing is being written and then tested in IE7 and IE7 supports it but IE 6 does not.

Another thought is that it could be something to do with Java itself. If the pages are written in older versions of Java, they may not be compatible with the latest versions (or the developers have access to a newer version that is not currently available to the users out here). It is not unknown for web developers to write web pages for the highest standard available instead of the lowest standard in use.

Under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, be sure to Disable Script Debugging by checking the box.
This has worked in both IE6 and 7.

Bob

I disabled the Scipt Debugging as you suggested, BobS707, and the error message has not re-appeared. Thank you and ASG0856 for your help.

I did have another thought last night. I womnder if the firewall is stripping certain popups/ads out of the downloaded pages, which when loaded then show an error because the object is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back