Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 Privacy Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGDT

Technical User
Sep 4, 2006
GB
I have two Citrix Servers both running Metaframe XPe FR3 SP4 on W2k SP4 boxes.

I am having trouble with the Privacy settings in Internet Explorer settings on one of them.

Both servers are running IE6 Version 6.0.2600.0000 with Update Versions Q903235 & Q328676.

I open Internet Explorer, click on View > Privacy Report and then click on the Settings button to display the Privacy Setting level.

On Server 1 this opens fine and I can adjust the cookie level accordingly.

On Server 2 when I click on the Settings button nothing happens even though the button is not greyed out.

In addition if I click on Tools > Internet Options the Privacy tab at the top is missing from Server 2.

I have checked the Local Policy on both servers via GPEDIT.MSC then User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel

There are options here on both servers to disable all the other tabs (General, Security, Content, Connections, Programs & Advanced) but there is no mention of the Privacy setting on either.

I don’t believe that Group Policy is causing the tab to be missing on Server 2 as both servers are in the same OU and the same domain policies are applied to both.

Can anyone suggest how I can restore the Privacy tab on Server 2 which will (I assume) make the settings button work again and allow me to adjust the cookie level?

Thanks in advance.

A couple of things you can try...

Check these registry paths and see if they apply to you.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ Control Panel]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ Control Panel]

See if there is a value for PrivacyTab. If it is set with a value of 1 this means it has been restricted. Give it a value of 0 to remove the restriction. Check out to give you a better idea of this.

or

Click Start> Run> type regsvr32 /n /i inetcpl.cpl

or

Try the IEFix Utility to re-register all the core components of IE.

or

Uninstall IE 6 and try reinstalling.

- How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6

Have you scanned the computer for viruses and other malware?

Hope something here helps!

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

Thanks for the advise IllogicallyLogical but I still haven't been able to fix this.

The entries you mention in the registry do not exist on either the server I am having a problem with or the one which is working ok.

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER I can drill down as far as Software\Policies\Microsoft but there is no entry for IE

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE I can drill down to Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer but there is no Control Panel entry

These settings exist on my W2K Desktop machine but not on the W2K Server I am trying to repair.

There seems little point in running the registry fix if the settings are not present on a server that is working properly.

The IE fix you have given me the link to says it is suitable for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP but doesn't mention Server O/S's and the problems it fixes are not the ones I'm having.

The server concerned is scanned for viruses / malware on a daily basis and is clean.

I am trying to avoid re-installing IE from scratch as this is a production Citrix Server which currently has users logged on to it so doing that would mean logging them off and disrupting their work.

Do you, or anyone else, have any other ideas as to what I can try to resolve this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back