Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 on wamp server making IE8 behave strangely

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkemas

Programmer
Mar 22, 2012
GB
This is a bit of a strange one. I have to use a server for a new website that was built many years ago and runs wamp with IE6.

The rest of the company is on IE8, running my website locally all css and javascript works as intended.

I have now moved the site over to the server and browse it over the network and some areas are wokring as IE8, other as IE6. For example the padding is working as though it is run on IE6 and some javascript doesn't work.

I am running the webiste on IE8 on my machine but it seems that because the server has IE6 installed it is using that engine.

Is this a known/recognised problem? Unfortunately IT won't upgrade the version of IE on that server, is there a way around this?

Thanks

Can you clarify? This topic makes little sense. IE6 is a client web browsing program. It would not run on a server.

If you have browser rendering problems, you will need to update/correct your HTML/CSS/JS. That has nothing to do with IE being installed on a server.

It makes little sense to me too :-
Basically I wrote a website on my local machine in wamp and tested on my local IE8. All looks and works great.

I put onto the server running the same version of wamp but the server has IE6 on it. When I browse the website over the network the padding is all wrong and some of the javascript doesn't work.

SO, I used IE tester to test my local version, if i set IE Tester to IE6 I see the much the same as I do browsing the network version of my site in local IE8.

An example

On my local IE8 I browse and all is good
On my local IE8 I browse and it displays some features as IE6 would do

Bizarre. A google search returns nothing although it is hard to choose a correct term to search for.

Does that make sense?

This is still not making sense.

When there are rendering differences between the development server on localhost and what you see from the remote production server, it is likely that not all files are duplicated between the two servers and/or that file paths are different.

IE6 is not used on a server and could not have anything to do with your issue.

One other thought... IE has security settings that may cause some scripts to be blocked, depending on their origin. See IE's Tools->Internet Options->Security... to make sure that both servers are trusted sites.

This could just be a cross-browser issue. check all tags (html) and css to make sure the look and functionality is the same.

I don't see what the server has to do with anything.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back