Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 does not pass windows logo testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

azamatali

Programmer
Aug 20, 2001
IN
i am having problems with internet explorer installation
eveythime i try to install it begins then syas the software
you are trying to install does not pass xp logo testing and
will not install
please give me info on a patch or tool or something i can
use to fight this problem

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if Internet Explorer 6 has already been installed and the installation package does not contain any new customizations.

Uncustomized versions of Internet Explorer 6 only install the Internet Explorer Exception Pack and cannot be reinstalled. Customized versions of Internet Explorer 6 that are created by an Internet service provider, Internet content provider, or a corporate administrator can be installed once to apply customizations (branding) but cannot be reinstalled.
RESOLUTION
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this issue and reinstall the same customized Internet Explorer 6 installation package a second time, change the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value for the Branding component from 1 to 0 in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components

The Branding key always begins with a greater than (>) character.
STATUS
This behavior is by design.
MORE INFORMATION
Internet Explorer 6 can be installed once on Windows XP to allow customizations to be applied by an Internet service provider, Internet content provider, or a corporate administrator that used the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) to create an installation package. Because Windows XP does not install the Internet Explorer Exception Pack, Internet Explorer 6 also installs this component on Windows XP. For additional information about the Internet Explorer Exception Pack, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
260520 Description of the Internet Explorer Exception Pack

Last Reviewed: 6/11/2002
Keywords: kbenv kberrmsg kbprb kbsetup KB304872

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back