Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 blocking www.nytimes.com only...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fl4ian

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
on same machine, user has AOL 7 installed, and on the AOL browser, nytimes.com is available. on IE6 i get a 404 error.

tried:

1) clearing cache, offline content, cookies
2) disabling firewall
3) installing updates from windowsupdates.com
4) checking hosts file
5) browsing the registry for nytimes.com (removing nytimes key under "hotbar")

ANY SUGGESTIONS? i've advised the user to DL netscape or opera as a workaround, but what's the solution here?

thanks for any advice...

---todd

There is some documented history of AOL version 7.0 and XP not being compatible and causing all sorts of problems. Other versions may work with XP.

813444 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP

See these recent threads.

Cannot Access Secure Sites
thread779-600207

My Vesion of the TunaBoy57 Problem: MS Download
thread779-599621

Try openning a command window and ping that site.

At the minimum you should get the site translated to its ip address.

There is something going on with recent Hotfixes to IE under XP.

Linney provided a link to several threads that discuss and workaround the issue. (though I would pay a decent dollar to not have the last called TunaBoy57).

You likely will face a lot of advice through these threads, all of which are potentially helpful. In the main what does tend to help:

. Computer date, time and timezone are correct. I can count a million cases where the timezone was set to Guam, and the year was 35 years in advance. Secured sites like only something reasonably close to the right date, time, and timezone.

. One of Linney's links discusses the re-registation of six .DLL's. It does work. Why one needs to do this is a discussion for philosophers. Do it.

. Disabling firewalls is not equivalent to stopping a firewall. Use MSCONFIG to un-tick the firewall and reboot. In the altnative, do a Ctrl-Alt-Del keystroke sequence to bring up Task Manager. Kill the firewall service.

. If you have recently upgraded the firmware for you router, please see Linney's link to the embaraassing thread I started called "My version of the TunaBoy57 problem" I am shamed to have authored this piece, but fortunately it offers a heck of a lot of good advice.

Note to Linney: I am going to plead alien possession for the thread, but the responses are too good to ask for it to be killed outright.

I assume I will never live this down?

note to all: this is not a secured site, the domain itself (
dakota - good idea to ping... i have a feeling it won't find it.

linney - AOL 7 and IE6 have been playing well for months (if AOL really is the culprit).

bcastner - should i re-register the DLL's even if it's not a secure site. also, no router or switch involved.

---todd

Is the user running Spybot Search & Destroy by any chance?

I should have added:

'or any other ad blocking or spyware protection software?'

One thing that I noticed when visiting is that a new window ad immediatly opens. I had a similar issue with spybot not letting me into MSNBC a while ago because it would block the ad and apparently if the ad was blocked you couldn't get into the site.

Here's the solution to the problem. It was actually answered by NYTimes.com. Thanks for all the help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for writing to The New York Times on the Web.

We suggest that you edit your preferences on your IE 6 browser by clicking on the TOOLS area of your browser's toolbar.
Then select INTERNET OPTIONS
and click on the PRIVACY tab.
Now click the EDIT button and enter
nytimes.com
into the available field and select the option to allow cookies from our website.
Save your selections.

We hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back