Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6.0 View Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkfox

Programmer
Feb 15, 2002
US
I am running IE 6.0 on a Win 2000 system and the view Source menu function does not work. When selected it does nothing, the menu simply disappears. The view source does work fine bringing up Notepad and displaying the HTML for a local page on my computer, just not for an actual web page.

Anybody have any ideas? One thought that someone suggested on this forum was to look in the registry for an item called noviewsource, which I did but have two questions with this:
1. I looked at the registry and could not find any entry called this - is it different in Win 2000 Professional?

2. If it was this entry, why would the view source work ok on a local HTML page?

And also, i just installed IE 6.0 on a new Win 2000 advanced server and the view source works fine!!!!

Help!!!!

I looked in the registry and can't find any of these entries mentioned in the other post. Is it different in win 2000 perhaps? And if it is a registry setting why would the view source work on a local page and not on a web page?

rkfox

It seems the registry location for this restriction in Windows 2000 is:
------------------------------------------------------
View menu: Disable Source menu option
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Browser menus

Description
Prevents users from viewing the HTML source of Web pages by clicking the Source command on the View menu.

If you enable this policy, the Source command on the View menu will appear dimmed.

If you disable this policy or do not configure it, then users can view the HTML source of Web pages from the browser View menu.

Caution

This policy does not prevent users from viewing the HTML source of a Web page by right-clicking a Web page to open the shortcut menu, and then clicking View Source. To prevent users from viewing the HTML source of a Web page from the shortcut menu, set the Disable context menu policy, which disables the entire shortcut menu.
------------------------------------------------------
For your particular problem:
You might try the following courtesy of
Changing Source Code Editor in Internet Explorer
Cannot View Source in Internet Explorer
Cannot View Source Code for Web Pages

GL smitee

Thank you! thank you! thank you!

I looked at the sites you mentioned and on one of them I found a tip to delete the cache temporary files. I did this (it took a long time so there must have been a great many of them) and now view source WORKS normally!!!!

Maybe this should become part of your routine...Glad it helped :) smitee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back