Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE5 & kernel32.dll crash problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Just recently my IE5 has been crashing from Invalid Page Faults in kernel32.dll. It seems to happen when the IE5 has been left open for a few hours, and after closing kernel32.dll crashes.<br><br>This would be all fine and good, apart from the fact that when I click the 'Close' button, the same error pops up instantly afterwards.<br><br>The whole system will then not shutdown, as the 'end program' dialog that pops up will not completely kill the dll either. In fact after clicking End Program the whole system hangs!<br><br>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wouldn't a rewrite of kernel32.dll be in order? ( :&gt;[ ) <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

~Maybe~<br><br>And how would I go about the re-write? From the Win98 CD? How do I find it when the files on the CD are in .cab format(I do have WinZIP)? <br><br>Just look for it, slam it into my windows folder, and rename the extension to .dll? Is that right?

As you can see, this is not for the faint of heart...but you're a programmer...so here goes.<br>Follow this link in the Microsoft Info Dbase<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> follow the subsequent links...next of which is Q129605.There are many more on the page...deep but helpful.<br>It goes into extraction and implementation of .cab files and doing overwrites of existing files.<br>Many people I know copy ALL the .cab files into a .cab directory (given the disk space) and then pointing to it (when you need drivers) as the source for the necessary files.&nbsp;&nbsp;( :&gt; [ )<br><br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Aha! Thank you sir, I'll follow that link...<br><br>I just had a idea... Wouldn't it be easier for me to just copy someone elses kernel32.dll and just bang it in my System folder?<br><br>I suppose it's worth a try...<br><br>Thank again for your help :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back