Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE11: Disabling Open/Save/Save as dialog for DOCX

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5tm

Programmer
Aug 24, 2001
US
My company markets a large browser-based (specifically, Internet Explorer) application.

We are attempting to deliver Word (docx) documents with the browser. Most customers will be using Word Viewer to view and print these documents, while some will have Word installed allowing them to edit the documents. In general, though, we would like the user to have an experience similar to PDF, where the document opens without 'intervention' by the browser.

In my testing with IE11, I cannot find a way to eliminate this dialog:
OpenSaveAsDialog.png

If I click Open, the file is opened by the application. Unfortunately, this introduces a 'click' which I would like to eliminate, as it probably will be the basis of support calls as it builds irritation among the user base. My desired solution is for the browser to 'remember' to Open DOCX files (at least on this trusted site) thereby providing the 'PDF experience' with DOCX.

All of these DOCX files will be served from a trusted zone site, typically from a server located on the customer's intranet.

I have spent quite a few hours looking for a solution, but have found none for recent versions of IE. I have used a registry hack on some earlier versions of IE, but have not been able to surface anything for IE 10 and 11, which most of the customers are using.

I am a long-term Tek-Tip member, so I have great confidence that someone here might be able to help. [smile]

Tom Morrison
Hill Country Software

You can't.

The application mappings are set by the end user and cannot be changed by external actions.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Hi Chris. Nice to see you again in this forum.

Our users rely on us almost exclusively for configuring their systems. In some situations our support team works with the customer's IT support team, and others we support directly without any intermediary.

So, if there is a way, we can gain the level of access necessary to make the change.

I am not sure what you mean by application mappings. In my testing, I am certain that IIS (running localhost) is delivering the file with the correct MIME type, and docx is associated correctly with Microsoft Word. As soon as I click Open on the dialog, Word opens the file.

On previous versions of IE, the dialog would appear, but IIRC there was a check box to cause this selection to be remembered. According to my web 'research' somewhere around IE9 that check box disappeared.

I also remember on IE8 or IE9 I found a registry hack that would allow IE to open a file with an application. Unfortunately, that particular hack was global, so it could not be constrained to trusted sites or intranet.

Tom Morrison
Hill Country Software

I no longer have a Windows machine to test on or check my memory with, but:

Intenet Options -> Security -> Custom Level ... -> scroll to Downloads and set the radio buttons for the preferred option (Enable | Disable | Prompt)

Should get you there.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back