Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE won't load some pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a user who's IE browser when visiting a certain page in our extranet won't load.

We just get 'internet explorer cannot display the page'.

Also if you click the 'Diagnose Connection Problems' button it just script errors?

At first I thought it might be related to the page being 3 frames, but if I try to load the url direct , it has the same problem.

We have removed all protection, lowered all browser settings and security zones, added the domain to trusted sites.

Run the 'MS Fix It' without success, disabled all add ins, removed 'rapport', unistalled IE 8 and reinstalled even checked HOSTS file.

The site works perfectly fine in Safari or if any other browser is used, only IE won't load certain pages?

It's not the site as it works fine for all in house staff and we have not been inundated with calls from other members?

What on earth is causing this bizzarre behaviour in IE?

Thanks,

1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

I've run into similar problems with IE on my home systems, and solved them by using FireFox as my primary browser there. IE9 still hasn't solved them all. At work, I use IE8, with no issues -I have Firefox installed, but rarely use it.

Fred Wagner

Fred -> Yes, they are using Safari in the meantime with no issues until i can come up with a solution.

Marc -> yes, have reloaded the page several times, no joy. I might set the browser to display all erros and see if I can track anything.

But as we have 250+ members using the extranet and only this member has a problem, I have to assume the page code and scripts are working and it is specific to this user's IE installation or settings somewhere.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

1DMF,
As you can access the page in other browsers it's obviously something to do with IE and not a firewall type of problem.

A couple more things to try:
Disable all IE add-ons
Delete all cookies and temporary files
Reset IE to default

Last one is pretty irrelevant as you've re-installed but is worth a shot as a last resort. If I were a gambling man I'd put my money on a duff cookie.

Marc

Yeah, but I tried all that first, before re-installing.

Nothing seems to work, I cannot clear what ever is causing the problem.

They did have Norton 360 on the system, so it wouldn't suprise me if that has residule rules left behind causing the problem as even running the unistall tool (which I did), never totally clears everything.

I feel beat on this occassion :-(

1DMF,

How is this particular user connecting to the internet? Wired or or via wireless router?

Marc

Wired I think, need to check.

1DMF,
It was just a thought. Saw something on Google where somebody had the same problem and it was something to do with their wireless router.

That sound you can here is the clutching of straws!

I know that sound for sure [deadhorse]

I'll have to find some time this week to contact the user and check, got bigger fish to fry currently [hairpull3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back