Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE will not browse to ceratin sites 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texsraider

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
I currently utilize a DSL connection to browse the web. My system is comprised of WinXP Pro, IE 6 with SP1, 1GHZ PIII machine, 512 RAM. I built this system awhile back and it has operated flawlessly. I recently moved and my DSL service moved as well (10 blocks). I can connect to the net with no problem but I can not browse E-Bay. We are trying to do some christmas shopping and for some reason I can go to the site home page but not further into the site. I get that "dns error-page not found, click here to have IE6 detect settings". When I try to browse the site I get page not found errors one after the other. I can however log into my computer at work from home and browse all of E-BAy so I know it is not an e-bay problem but a problem with my computer or browser. I have adjusted my DNS server IP's and that has not helped, I have also checked IE6 security and privacy and that has not led to any fix. This is driving me crazy! Please help.....

Have you done a virus scan or checked for spy ware?
Can u download hijackthis and run it, then past the log here.

Thanks for the fsat reply! I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin which is up to date and no I have not ran any spyware programs. I do believe that I have spybot on that machine. Think it might be a malicious type of exe? Wonder why it only affects me when I go to this one particular site? I will run it tonight and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice. This spy ware and ad ware stuff is pretty new to me.

I will do that. I have already downloaded and used on my computer here at work (negative results). Thanks, I will keep you informed as I would like for you guys to help me resolve this issue.

Did you check my response to your other post? thread585-719861

Thanks for the help....I ran spybot and it cleaned out a lot of garbage. That did not seem to help, yet it was good to get rid of all the leaches in my machine.
What fixed it: I found the file called "Host" and it was very long. Many sites were in this file that did not need to be, including E-Bay. I added a .txt to the name of the file, rebooted and was able to go anywhere including E-Bay! Problem solved.... I have been in this business quite a while and learn everyday. Never heard of the "Host" file! I appreciate your help very much...wife happy too.

Texsraider

Post a hijackthis file

My guess is you haven't solved your problem, just masked it.

It could be Qhosts or something entirely different

If you want to clean it out properly do this :-

Please Download hijackthis from

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

After the scan has finished the "scan" button will turn into a "save log" button

save the log file and paste it here

Do not delete anything yet, as most things hijackthis finds are harmless and needed.

steam

delete history, Cookies , Temp Files, and IE Temp File from the folders directly - make sure to set the system to show hidden files and folders.

Then

1. Go to the command promt and ping 66.135.208.101
2. ping 3. Open the browser and in the address bar enter 66.135.208.101 - are you able to get to ebay this way

What happen? Are you able to surf? Post results.
Also are you able to surf any other secure site?

Thanks ...will do. usually takes me a day to get back ...Last night DSL was down due to SBC performing "upgrades".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back