Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE takes forever 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorserver

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2003
US
Could you guys help me out? I can't find whats making my IE take so damn long to open. It can either be a "open in new window" link or a fresh start of the browser it's self. I have deleted cookies, temp files, objects, restored defaults ect. This machine is XP pro and everything else works great! I have a 1.5mbps dsl connection that ROCKS! I just can't find out why it takes so long to open a browser window (10-20 secs). I've looked in this forum and on microsoft.com to no avail. I know i'm just missinf it. Thanks you guys. "Sure, I'll fix it!.... That's what you're here for"...

by the way it is updated to sp-1. I didn't know if that could be the issue.

David "Sure, I'll fix it!.... That's what you're here for"...

I have the same problem...it started about a month ago and has been a real pain, especially with popups because they can lock up my computer when opened automatically!

may be way out in left field, but check your connections tab under internet options... click on lan settings and make sure all those boxes are unchecked...
~ Whether you think you can or can't, you're right. Henry Ford~

Yes, the Automatically detect settings is probably checked under Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings. That one setting alone causes all sorts of problems, especially slowness. After you uncheck all boxes in this location (if you're on a company LAN, make sure it's OK with the SA), hit OK and restart IE. ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

My LAN settings is all unchecked. I still have this problem. Any other ways to stop the internet "hangs"

Thanks in advance

yeah, that should help out for opening the page but not for opening the browser itself. i had the same problem and checked everything i could think of to no avail. then one day it just started working fine. who knows. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

all the boxes were uncheckd. Its not an internet connection loading slowness so much as a program launching slowness...

exactly! i really would like to know how to fix it too. i have friends having the same problem. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

yeah, i'll have them give it a try. thanks! "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

You will have to check that microsoft critical updates are removed from your system. (do this by going to add/remove and remove it completely, or go to Task schedular and ensure that it is deleteted) It is one of the many common programs that slow down the internet and cause it to "hang"

However despite this, I only reduced the number of times i get a "hang". My internet still hangs.

I have spybot, and nothing on it.

Any more ideas?

Thanks a lot

gigahertz,

AdAware is plenty up to date, as of the Feb 03 release of v. 6.0...they allow you to download update files as often as SpyBot....
just an FYI.

carr

You're right about AdAware. I hadn't been there for awhile ...

Does anyone still have a solution to this crazy problem of "hanging" in my computer?

Thanks

the only thing i've came up with so far is that it is cuased by spyware and after cleaning them out it leaves this issue back. what do you guys think, carr, smah any more ideas? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Another possibility is a bad dns server somewhere along the line. As a test, time the response between these 2 links. Be sure to clear temporary internet files between before both tests, to make sure there is no caching going on.

If the results are about the same for both DNS is ok. If the second one is considerably quicker (it should be a little, but not much) this would point to a dns problem.

smah, remember, its the IE its self opening not the page loading after it opens. for some reason a friend of mine is having this issue about when opening up IE for the first time or a new window, it will take a good 30-45 seconds to open. the pages load fast and surfing is good. thats why this is not that important, he can surf fine but the IE don't open like it should. thanks though. you have any ideas for that. i've worked on it for 2 hours the other day making sure there were no "demons" and everything else was ok. it made me feel stupid because i told him i would fix it and that he is doing something wrong. oh well. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back