Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Status Bar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwidner

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
We are attempting to allow people to connect to a passworded, 3rd party database web site. The link inside the html code includes an authorization number and the password.

In order to protect that data, we have encrypted the page so that the source code cannot be viewed. However, in IE (but not in Firefox), the URL, with the authorization and password shows up in IE's status bar.

I've tried using a javascript which prevents the user from seeing anything when they pass over the URL, however, we have also tried putting the URL into a meta refresh line, but it still shows u in the status bar.

Does anyone know how to prevent this data from displaying in IE's status bar?

Thanks in advance...

It is something to do with the onMouseOver event. You need to set it for the link so it doesn't display anything. By default, I think the onMouseOver event displays the link on the status bar.

Good point! I don't "do" JavaScript. Here it is. Anyone have an idea?
-----------------------
function hidestatus(){
window.status=''
return true
}

if (document.layers)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)

document.onmouseover=hidestatus
document.onmouseout=hidestatus
-----------------
Obviously, there are "mouseover" all over this. but what would I put to keep it out of the status bar completely?

Again, thanks for pointing out the obvious to me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back