Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE shortcut icons covering up real icons on desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagme

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2002
US
Many of the shortcut icons on my desktop (and folders) are covered up by the explorer internet shortuct icon, which is a square white box with the IE blue e on it -- the corner of the box is turned down to make it look like a page, I guess. The icons getting covered up tend to be shortcuts to applications -- shortcuts to work files and documents are ok.

You can see the edges of the correct icon behind the explorer icon. How do I get rid of these @*!?@#$ explorer icons covering the real icons?

"Do I believe in Free Will? Of course. I have no choice."
- Isaac Bashevis Singer

right-click / arrange icons by....

it'll make it so each icon can be seen uncovered

Neither of these are the answer. bcastner's answer simply deletes the shortcut. The 2nd solution doesn't do it either.

You may have answered the way you did because you think that I meant that one shortcut is covering the other. That's not the problem.

The problem is there is actually a graphic of the IE internet shortcut icon attached to -- on top of -- the shortcuts. The icons have actually turned into a different icon. What that icon is, is the IE internet shortcut icon lying on top of the real icon.

I'll post a page later today with a print screen image so you can see what I mean.

"Do I believe in Free Will? Of course. I have no choice."
- Isaac Bashevis Singer

Some people have had problems with shortcut icons where every shortcut has the same icon on top of the proper one. This is a problem caused by Tweak UI apparently. Here is how I solved it on my machine - I don't guarantee it will work on yours!:

1. Ran Regedit and deleted any mentions of Tweak UI.
2. Ran Tweak UI and rebuilt the icons in the Repair tab.
3. Restarted my computer.

Another solution is to delete the Shelliconcache file in your windows folder and restart your computer.

Source:

Chagme:

I'm having the EXACT same problem you are. But instead of an IE icon overtop of the icons, I have a calculator!

I've been searching all day for answers, to no avail.

Didn't see bcasters post. Using the repair function of Tweak UI (rebuild icons), did the trick.

Thanks

bcastner's suggestion of deleting the shelliconcache file is right on as well -- deleting, rebooting is easier than trolling the registry and has always worked for me, at least.

I am not convinced you need to "troll the registry" either. But I do think that:

. revisit in TweakUI the shortcut settings options, set it to something else, then set it back as you wanted originally;

. Then use the Repair feature of TweakUI to rebuild the icons.

Even if after a reboot this appeared to work, I would clean the icon cache as well (although I suspect TweakUI does this for you).

Best,
Bill Castner

Bill,

Walked through your steps suggested on a user's pc with this problem.

Worked like a charm.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back