Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE setting to reduce spy/as ware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepc

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
Could anybody give me a run down of what setting I could change in IE to reduce the amout of spy/ad ware that a pc would recieve from browsing the internet.

bcastner's last suggestion can also be used with spybot with the immunize function enabled.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

I use ad-aware which can be found on downloads.com. It's the best I've found.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
Lois: "Peter, you're drunk!"
Peter: "I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinking!

I am aware of the tools that are available to me to remove spy/ad ware. I just want to stop it before it hits my pc. So I was just curious what settings in Internet Explorer people use to minimize the threats that are out there. ex. I have IE delete all temp internet files once the browser is closed. Just stuff like that.

Thanks though

Set JavaScript to disabled.
Don't click on any links.
Don't open any websites with flash, activeX controls, etc.
Disable certificates.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
Lois: "Peter, you're drunk!"
Peter: "I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinking!

Javacool Software makes 2 tools that help with spyware as well. One is an immunizer and the other is a real time scanner.
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard

Install Spyware Blaster, run it, click updates, update it, then click Protect, then click enable all protection.

Install Spyware Guard and then click the SpywareGuard Liveupdate that is placed on your desktop.

It does not block every single spyware out there but It will block what ever is found in the tools database.

Hi amen! I've used a few spy-ware catchers(?). I just installed Spyware Blaster. works pretty good.

"Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back