Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Security Bulletins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdublu

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
US
MS05-054 was just released from microsoft for Internet Explorer critical update. i use Firefox for my browser. is it necessary for me to download these security patches?
thanks,Jim

Internet Explorer updates are for internet explorer only. Do you have internet explorer installed?

CISSP, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

In short, if you ware running windows, yes.

1. Turn on Automatic Updates
2. Visit and check to ensure you have ALL necessary updates.. make sure ALL critical updates are applied.
3. IE is, and has been for a long while now, deeply embedded into the MS windows OS - so even though you don't use it to browse the web, doesn't mean that this doesn't affect you. MS IE is used as an embedded browser pane in many other applications that call IE directly, and do not consider your 'chosen' web browser. Media Player is a simple example of this.

See the specific realease notes:
the 'Affected Software' should indicate the necessity of installation, but if you goto the windowsupdate site then it will do the vast majority of the checking for you.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back