Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE "Page cannot be displayed" for ebay and hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick964uk

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

been using broadband fine then I changed ISP and also went for a wireless home network.

Everything works fine except I cannot get on to the ebay and hotmail websites.

I have checked the wireless router for firewall settings plus XP home as well. Like I said it was ok before this new setup went in.

I also stopped mcafee security centre which made no difference.

The ISP recommended changing the MTU to 1400. I know this is a TCP setting but not sure what this will do.

I did download drTCP but didnt really know what to do with it.

Rather puzzled !!!

thanks
Mike

. Is the MTU change a guess by your ISP or a requirement? In any case, run DrTCP. Select your ethernet adapter, and at the lower right type in the 1400 value for MTU. Save the changes, exit, and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

. There are other non-MTU reasons for issues accessing secure sites:

I should not that the most frequent reason for this issue is that the computer clock is wrong.

Hi,

changing MTU to 1400 using DrTCP sorted the problem.
It must be something on the wireless gateway as I connected my laptop to there network and I had the same problem too.

When I connected back to my wireless network it was fine.

thanks for your help.

Regards,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back