Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Proxy settings change automatically, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhogaj31

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange problem.

I have a bunch of windows 2000 sp4 machines running ie6 sp1 with the IE6.0sp1-KB905915-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe service pack for ie6.

I have manually configured the browsers on these machines to use another proxy server in our organisations to get to the web. The browser is a cutomised version that had different proxy settings when I customised it and distributed it to my organisation.

For some strange reason the proxy settings are reverting back to the proxy server that ie6 was customised to use when it was first customised (using ieak). It has only started happening on a handful of machines and they have all been built using the unattended method with windows answer files on floppies.

I haven't got a clue why this is happening and would appreciate some help.

Many thanks in advance.

Jat

There are several ways using a PROXY.PAC file, but I would bet on a WPAD.DAT file pointed at by your DNS server.

Hi bcastner,

Thanks for your reply.

Where can I find these files you mention in your response above?

I have looked on the machines in question and couldn't find them.

Regards

Jat

The machine containing the file can be anywhere. Disable the use of Automatic settings under LAN Connections in Internet Options.

Hi chaps,

All the machines that have these automatic proxy changing problems have previously had a manual proxy entry entered.

None of them have -

Automatically detect settings
Use automatic configuration script

checked.

I can only think of the default gateway machine incorrectly handing out ip addresses.

I will take a look. Meanwhile, any other ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

Jat

Then you forced a registry "tattoo" for the proxy entries. You should revert those changes by removing the entry. It can be under HKCU, or HKLM registry hives.

The entries in .reg format:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
"ProxyHttp1.1"=dword:00000000
"ProxyServer"=""ProxyOverride"="<local>"

; And if this entry exists:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxySettingsPerUser"=dword:00000001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back