Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2003
US
Howdy.

Been having trouble for quite some time using IE6 (with latest patches). The problem is when I try to go to certain websites, I keep getting the standard "Server could not be located...check your DNS settings...yada yada yada". If I hit refresh 2-3 times, the error will sometimes go away. If not, I try again later, and the problem goes away.

I clear my disk cache, delete my cookies, etc; Yet, the problem seems to happen with at least one site every day. The biggest problem site being msnbc.com

Is there something I can do mitigate this problem? Like a static DNS entry, or something? Driving me up a wall.

Sometimes sites are busy.

One thing you can do, but it may not be your particular issue, is update your SSL CA certificate: thread608-4650

It possibly could help to adjust your negative DNS cache time.

XP remembers negative (DNS unable to resolve) entries for a few minutes. Often this can be a pain when moving and debugging sites. As long as that negative entry sits in your DNS cache, your box will continue to give you a cannot find server error. By cleaning out your DNS cache, you can fix this problem.

Rebooting will flush your cache... but there is an easier way.

Drop to a command box and type:
ipconfig /flushdns

If you wish to stop Windows from placing negative entries into cache, you can make this change in your registry.

1. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters
2. Build a new DWORD value called NegativeCacheTime and give it a value of 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back