Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE plugin / MS Java / VRML

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceyr

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
DE
I hope that this is an appropriate forum. If not, perhaps someone would advise me on which forum to post this question!!

I have a bespoke application, written for a friend 10 or so years ago, which uses Internet Explorer 7, Microsoft Java and Blaxxun VRML (all long since obsolete, but they 'just work') under Win98 to Win NT to create, edit and display 3D models of spheres in "face centre cubic" (fcc) packing, e.g. regular crystal structures at molecular level, basically a lot of balls in a regular lattice arrangement.

Recently the "Open File" and "Save File" menu items stopped working; there's no error message, they're just ignored. I think that a recent Windows automatic update may have taken place; the Open and Save functions are presumably done via Common Dialog calls.

If the "common dialog" functions are performed by a specific DLL, then perhaps I can revert to a previous DLL to get it working. But which? Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think so in this case; I did remove quite a few 'unused' programs recently, so something important may have been deleted at the same time.

I suspect that the real cause was an automatic update to IE7 on 16 Jan, which contained 2 security fixes. Unfortunately I can't restore any system state from before this date, so I think I need to remove the patched copy of IE7 and then download and install an older version.

Any ideas welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back