Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE is disable on my pc - how to enable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc1923

MIS
Aug 9, 2007
US
IE 6 is diabled on my Win XP Pro PC. When I try to launch it, a html doc opens and says to use FireFox. How do I get IE back?

No matter how I click IE(through whatever shortcut or even on the IE executable), that html doc opens. This happens even if I log on the pc with another profile.

I saw where adding a dummy proxy server disables IE but I don't think that is the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get IE back?

Thanks.

When the html document opens what program is running it? If it's html it must be running in a browser of some sort.

The answer is "42"

The document opens in the default browser...firefox. The program I want to get rid of. I think the registry was hacked to do this? I'm not sure?

First, what Operating system are you using? If using XP SP1 or higher, in Add/Remove Programs, you'll find 'Set Program Access and Defaults' You can set IE to be your default browser in there. Alternatively, if you uninstall Firefox, IE should become your default browser again.

Is this a work PC? Are you on a network? It could be a Group Policy that's forcing Firefox to be the default browser in which case you should speak to your network admin.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back