Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE hanging when creating pages on the fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyx

Programmer
Jul 25, 2004
AU
Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my webpage and I was hoping someone here could help me out...

I have a java script that works like this:

1) User clicks on thumbnail
2) Script builds page with appropriate picture and caption that correspond to the thumbnail the user clicked on.

the function looks something like this:

function (date, caption, pic) {
mywin = open(blah blah...);

mywin.document.write(&quot;<html> blah blah..&quot;);

mywin.document.write(caption);

etc...
}

I think you get the idea...

Anyway, I am able to view this page JUST fine from my machine at home where the page is running from. 2 of my other friends are also able to view it just fine. However, when I try to view it from here at work, IE hangs on me all the time. :( I just don't get it. both machines are running teh same version of IE (5.5) with all the fixes and what not. My 2 other friends are running 98, ME, I'm running w2k at home and this machine here is running NT4/WS. Now I didn't think that it was the O/S that mattered but just to make sure I tried viewing the page from a w2k machine here at work but it still hung. :(

I just don't get it. Some of my other friends are also having trouble viewing the page as well. But it doesn't make sense why 3 machines are able to connect and view it fine and the others can't. I can't seem to find the differences between the setups. Is there something that I have forgotten to do??

if anybody has any idea why this would be happening, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Nick

Have you checked the amount of space each machine is allocating for temporary internet storage? control panel->Internet Options->General->settings (Temporary Internet files)

DogFight

Try using mywin.document.close() after you finish writing to the new window to let the browser know you're finished with the page. That does seem to help. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back