Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Explorer locks up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiplook

Technical User
Nov 28, 2005
US
Throughout the day I may have multiple IE Explorer windows open and shut down. Periodically when I try to open IE Explorer it won't open - even if I have no other IE Explorer windows open at the time.

I've discovered that if I go into Windows Task Manager there will be multiple versions of iexplore.exe running in the Processes Tab even though there's nothing in the Applications Tab. If I start ending the iexplore.exe processes eventually I'll hit the one that's holding up the show and everything will work fine.

Why is iexplore.exe holding on and what can I do to fix it?

What if I'm running IE 6.0. And thank you for your response.

Disable all add-ons in IE. Clear all caches and delete everything in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files. Does it work now? Enable add-ons one at a time until you find a culprit.

Still no good? Try downloading the stand-alone version of IE6 and seeing if you have the same problem using only it.

If the standalone has no problems, you may need to double-check your windows updates to IE and see if any are missing or if any are removed. Try viewing the event log and see what errors are being generated by IE, if any. Reference them with
You could also goto Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and select the Windows Components. Try removing the MSN Explorer selection and then try using IE.

Or you could just upgrade to IE7 or IE8BRC2 and see what happens. Once you go there though, there is no roll back.

If all else fails, try running a comprehensive anti-virus check (Avast is a good free program for Windows), and also a spyware check.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

I did a shotgun approach and tried several things at once and haven't had any problems since. unfortunately I'm not sure which thing fixed my problem.

Thank You All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back