Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE crashed, now home page will not load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbaecker

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2000
US
I have an issue with IE running on Windows XP. I was surfing when my IE window suddenly closed. I tried to launch again but before my home page ( finished loading it closed again. I was able to launch IE to a different page by using the Start/Run prompt, however when I changed to my home page it closed. Once again I used the Start/Run method and changed my home page and everything is fine until I try to visit which works fine on my laptop. I have all the latest patches and AntiVirus updates. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this to happen?

Thanks!

Howdy,

Don't know if this will help but have you tried clearing the temp internet files and cookies. Maybe one for that site that is causing this???

Hope this helps

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Maybe an entry in your hosts file ?

Though that should be immediate, where as this sounds delayed

Please Download hijackthis from

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

After the scan has finished the "scan" button will turn into a "save log" button

save the log file and paste it here

Do not delete anything yet, as most things hijackthis finds are harmless and needed.

steam

I believe that it was a cookie, although it doesn’t make any sense, why only that web site? Anyway I tried several ways to delete the files (logged on as Admin, safe mode, safe mode command prompt) but there were four files that I could not delete. The files had random characters for names and non-existing internet addresses. I found a program called History Cleaner that solved the problem. I only wish that I could have identified the files. Thanks for the suggestions!!

It could have been a bad cookie.

But I think you would be happier doing a malware scan. Most anvirus programs ignore IE trojans, hijackers, rogue toolbars, Ad pop-ups and other malware.

Download and run in this order:

cwshredder *
SpyBot 1.2 *
AdAware *

* = Update the definition files within the program as the first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back