Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Browser starting Java Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggeo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
US
Just during the last few days, every time that I start IE 6.0, an icon for Java Console shows up in the system tray.
This Java is a Plug-in: Java(TM)2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition 1.3.1_04. Shows Default Virtual Machine Version 1.2.1_04-b02, Java(TM) Plugin 1.3.1-04

Can anyone tell me why is this showing up now? Is this something new, a virus, an option to be set or reset? I will appreciate your help.

"Why is the third hand on a watch called the second hand?"

Does it appear if you change the home (start) page (or if you uncheck Use Java [Sun] in Tools > Internet Options > Advanced) ?

I maintain the same home page all the time, not even a temporary change. I have the Java - Sun checked ON.
Here is the little mistery: when I go directly to a site, for example clicking on a web link on an email message, I do not get the Java Console in the System Tray, but if I start IE and my default home page appears, the Java Console appears. This was not happening a week ago!
What you suggested makes sense, but there is something else triggering the Java to appear. Thanks.

"Why is the third hand on a watch called the second hand?"

Maybe your default homepage was changed a week ago from a no-Java to a version including Java (?)

Go to the Java Plug-in in the Control Panel, open it, and uncheck "show Java in System Tray". That will get it to stop showing in your system tray.

As to the question of why it showed up in the first place, it shows up the first time you visit a site and stays in the system tray until you close the IE session. Therefore, I agree with PAnderson that your default homepage was changed a week or so ago from a no-Java to a version including Java. The reason it probably doesn't show when you click a web link on an email message is that that particular web site is not a Java site.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back