Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 8 won't work but Firefox 3.0.18 works - what's wrong? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davegmail

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2006
US
I cleaned some virus problem, downloaded AVG free, deleted Trojan from virus vault. Uninstalled AVG, now installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Doing scan now after rebooting.

Firefox browses ok, IE doesn't. Any ideas? I'll call Microsoft & Toshiba too.

Dave

Have you tried cleaning out your Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and browsing history?

Have you tried resetting IE to Defaults or running it with No Add-ons?

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer

Do you see the same behavior from within "Safe Mode with Networking"?

See if malware still is the cause.

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like -

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SuperAntispyware

Some other things to look at.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

Repair IE8 (IE7)

Do you have the same problem if you create another user and surf with that user?

Right click internet explorer icon IE> Properties> Connections> Lan Settings> unclick proxy server
Or open internet explorer; hit Alt and go to tools then Connections> Lan Settings> unclick proxy server

that is a common trick in the malware world

Hi Linney,

I cleaned out all your first few steps, system is now A-OK. I think I ran it to this problem a few years ago. All is well. Much obliged.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back