Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 7 vanishes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmw2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
When working with 2-4 tabs open, say one with one type of webmail, another with another webmail, another with Tek-tips, and yet another with Eng-tips, for exampleand in either webmail account, when clicking back and forth between messages and/or inbox, at least once an evening or more, when, for example clicking on "inbox" to return from a message, or clicking on a message itself, IE7 just disappears, all tabs - nothing but my desktop showing.

This has been happening for 2-3 months now. I don't recall it ever disappearing when clicking around in either Tek-Tips or Eng-Tips.

Any thoughts?

rmw2

Nothing that I can find. The IE file is empty.

rmw2

Are you current with Windows Update ? Have you considered moving up to IE8?

Fred Wagner

Yes and Yes, but just haven't made the plunge yet.

rmw

Try Firefox! I have strange issues with IE8 on several home machines (Win2K, Vista-64), and the problems don't happen when I use Firefox. On my work XP machine with IE8, no problems. very strange !

Fred Wagner

Are you sure it doesn't just minimize to the taskbar? Try clicking the browser icon on the taskbar and it should reopen. I noticed that with Windows 7 it highlights the launch icon and doesn't make a new icon on the taskbar like XP does when minimized.

Jim

Nothing on the task bar. For example, if I have a browser open (most often with up to 3-4 tabs) and let's say a Freecell game open, it is just gone and the only thing on the task bar is the freecell game.

If I have 2 browsers, with multiple tabs open and the Freecell game, then the Freecell game is all that is left.

Like the thread title says, IE7 has vanished - just disappeared.

Often this happened when I had stuff open that I didn't want to lose, so it is mighty inconvenient.

rmw2

Try IE8 or FireFox. IE8 can still be strange, Firefox is more stable and reliable in my experience.

Fred Wagner

Up until now stability hasn't been a problem, or much of a problem that is. Not like this.

rmw2

My IE setups at home (IE6 on win2K, IE8 on Vista-64) both started acting squirrely several months ago. No problems at all prior to that. No problems with IE8 at the office. Malware might be an issue. What protection software are you using ?

Fred Wagner

Norton Internet Security

rmw

How long has it been since your rebooted your PC ? I've found that some very squirrely problems - in browser apps and others too - vanish after a reboot, and advise my customers to restart their PC at shift change rather than just let it run indefinitely.

Fred Wagner

This behavior is often the sign of a browser add-on that doesn't play well with the multiple tab feature of IE7+ To test, see if the problem goes away when running IE in no add-ons mode .. Start, Run, iexplore.exe -extoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back