Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 problem - DNS error I poste

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzofid

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
CA
IE 6 problem - DNS error

I posted this on the browser issues board but have not had a single reply in two days. I'm posting it here hoping someone might have a suggestion.

"My former ADSL ISP had major problems a few days ago. Now my IE 6 keeps coming up with a DNS error and I cannot view any web pages (browser opens but cannot view them). Their tech support had me do a ping test and release/renew my IP address along with deleting temp. internet files and cookies. This failed to correct my connection to their system because they were also having other problems too. However, when I tried using TWO different dial up connections I now keep getting the DNS error and cannot view web pages even though I am able to connect with dial up."

Could my firewall be the problem? I'm running XP Pro (SP1) with McAfee version 7 AV and firewall.

Also, I no longer have access to my former ADSL connection as I have moved in the past few days. I'm stuck using someone else's dial up in my new location. I appreciate any replies but I will not be able to check in frequently due to my current situation.

TIA

Have you tried deleting your dialup connections and recreating them?

Have you looked at your Hosts files for any problems there?

Like you said you could disable your firewall and see if you can connect.

299357 - How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

241344 - Error Message: The Page Cannot Be Displayed

cannot display page
thread779-495400

Thanks for the reply linney. What type of problems should I be looking for in the Hosts files?

Also, I have tried running several commands such as "ipconfig /release-renew, ipconfig /flushdns" and a bunch of others. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the dial up connections. So far nothing has worked. I still have my former ADSL connection installed on the system. Should I remove it completely? I have tried the dial up with the LAN connection both enabled/disabled so I don't think it's a factor in the problem. The problem is I simply can't view web pages. I can connect to the net but for some reason I have trouble connecting to a domain name server (dns). I have a feeling the problem has a simple solution but I'm missing it somehow. Any further thoughts from you or others would be appreciated.

Cheers

If you are only using Dialup, see what happens when you remove ADSL.

After that if no luck you can try these.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

In your Hosts file make sure only this entry
127.0.0.1 localhost
points to 127.0.0.1
Anything else poiting to that address wont connect to internet.

In the Network settings of your Dialup connection Properties make sure you have a PPP: entry.

Type "Network Diagnostics" in the Search Box of the Help and Support program while connected and let the Network Diagnostics Scan your System a give you a detailed report.

Type "MsInfo32" in the Start Run Box and have a look at that for any clues, especially Components/ Problem Devices, and Internet Settings.

Try the Event Viewer and see if you have errors mentioned in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back