Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 and Java applets through Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

itypedformiles

Programmer
Feb 14, 2006
US
Please forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find it. I am new to designing in Lotus and I am at my wit's end.

I have inherited a large database that my clients view through IE 6. The default view in the application is a frame with navigation on the left and a view that loads in the right using Java.

Usually it works; however my issue is that more and more often, the Java applet will hang up and continually try to load without success. When this happens, it appears without issue in Notes. It runs simulatenous without error on a backup server. The only solution we have at the moment is to bounce the server it runs on until the issue occurs again. Rinse, repeat.

I've read several documents addressing the problem, but everything states that the issue has been resolved in Domino 5.0.12 and 6. We are running on 6.5, and my clients use IE 6 exclusively. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a solution?

Is it using the IBM view applet, or is it some self declared/ written applet?

If it is the DEFAULT viewer applet, I would have tried to use HTML views (at least as an alternative). It is a setting on the view, which can be set and overridden many ways (It can be set default to HTML in the view definition, and if embedded in a form it can be set to Applet there, so there might be some places to check).

I have stopped using the applet in views on my web views, mostly because it is hard to predict if it works or not, and the other fact that it is a bit heavy to load. It works beautifully when loaded and all ok, but in very many cases a use of some HTML code can achieve good results too. There is 'tons' of HTML dynamic views out on the web if that is an alternative.

By the way, I recommend to make a COPY of the view in question and experiment on the copied view (make sure view name AND aliases are different form the original)

Brgds,

TrooDOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back