Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.0 text boxes type themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmaul

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
US
I have a Dell Optiplex 260 running Windows XP Pro (SP1) and IE 6.0 (SP1). Starting a couple of days ago, whenever I access a site with a text box, such as Google or my login in prompt for my Web Mail, words appear in the box. First there will be series of dashes with dots over them, then those turn into words. It will say things like "first the first be the first the best way to the first half of the day", etc. I ran two separate virus programs and found nothing. I tried reinstalling 6.0 and all the updates to no avail. I then installed Netscape 7.1 and it does not appear using Netscape. I've searched all over the Net and have come up empty. This is the most curious thing I've ever came across. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried running Spybot to see if you got spyware running? Virus checks won't catch spyware.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Actually, I just finished running Spybot on it and thought I found the problem, as it found six entries pertaining to "DSO Exploit", but after fixing these, the problem is still there. It just seems to keep typing words (sort of random but you can see a pattern). This is driving me crazy.

I ran Hijack This this morning and sent the results to spywareinfo.com (under computing-pc troubleshooting).I do know a little about this and I could see nothing out of the ordinary. Seeing as how it's been about 7 hours since I posted there with no responses, I assume nobody else could find anything wrong with the log either. I really don't know where to turn now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back