Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.0 not recognizing file types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmab

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
US
I have a strange problem. I'm trying to open a file in internet explorer (the icon suppose to open a TIF document in a microsoft office image viewer) however when i click on the link the dialog box only has save and cancel as options but no open or download. This only happens on one machine. On the others the dialog box has an open option. The file types and associations are fine in the folder options-->file types. But I noticed that in IE the file has no extension in the dialog box and no file association. How can I associate this file type in IE? I have IE 6.0 btw. Thanks for any help.

Normally, the Open command is represented with these registry entries:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif]
"Content Type"="image/tiff"
"PerceivedType"="image"
@="Imaging.Document "

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\OpenWithProgids]
"TIFImage.Document"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\PersistentHandler]
@="{6BE013B5-DCAB-11d2-B1D7-00C04F6893F2}"

As you are not using the Picture and FAX viewer, I wiould go to a working machine, and export this key using regedit:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif

Copy this to floppy or a share accessible to all machines.

Then go to the non-working machine. Open regedit and delete the key above. Exit regedit. Now take the exported.reg file you created from the working machine and double-click it to merge it with your registry. Reboot and test.

Thanks bcastner I imported the registry entries but I'm still getting the unknown file type when opening a tiff from IE. It still just gives save and cancel as options. Is there anything else you can think of that could fix this? Thanks.

Open notepad and save the following as tif.reg :

***start copy below this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif]
"Content Type"="image/tiff"
"PerceivedType"="image"
@="Imaging.Document "

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\OpenWithProgids]
"TIFImage.Document"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\PersistentHandler]
@="{6BE013B5-DCAB-11d2-B1D7-00C04F6893F2}"

*** end copy/paste above this line

Double click the saved file to merge with the registry. Reboot and test.

bcastner I resolved the issue> I stepped through both machines registries simutaneously and exported and imported any keys that were different (searched for tif) from the working machine to the non_working> Thanks for the help with this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back