Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.0 installation problem in presence of an IE 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlexander

Programmer
Jan 12, 2003
GR
Hi Guys,

My problem has to do with the installation of IE V6.0.
I have WinMe and in the past I used IE6.0 but I had to reinstall Windows Millenium rolling back to Inernet Explorer 5.5.
When I tried to reinstall IE V6.0 online, during the final installation, I keep receiving the famous error message Unable to install all Internet Explorer components letting me know that a 70-80% of components have only been installed!
I have also noticed that during restart of the PC, the Installing Program is still active asking me for a Resume Setup or a Resume Setup from the beginning but either choice doesn't succeed with full installation!!!
Could anyone suggest a sound IE6.0 installation method having been in a que of installations like mine (IE6.0 -IE5.5 - IE6.0 )??
At the end of my attempts the prominent IExplorer & ie broweser remains IE5.5.
I have even deleted all "WINdows Update Setup files" folder contents but to no avail!!
Thank you for your time. PaulAlexander

Hi Carrr,

Thanks for your help. I just noticed that there is a cabinet.dll file in C:\windows\system folder. I'm going to delete it in DOS and try to extract it from the initial Windows cabs.
The size of the one present is about 69,632 bytes.
Is that correct? I'm running WinMe
Thanks. PaulAlexander

I'm having the same problem as you had in June 2003. I've tried to do what you said you would do but it stills is not working.

How did you manage to solve it? Or did you did a new install of Windows ME ?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back