Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.0 Error 718 (Cannot connect to ISP in a timely manner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerryL

Technical User
May 7, 2001
US
Ever since I installed Windows XP and IE 6.0 I haven't been able to connect to my ISP. After dialing and hearing the connection squawk, the logon process begins. But before my ISP can verify my ID and PW, I receive the following error message from IE 6.0:

Error 718
The connection was terminated because the remote computer did not respond in a timely manner.

I had no luck with the suggestions in IE 6.0 Help. I can't find anything about this error in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, nor can I find where IE allows me to increase the time allowed for a connection to take place.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Kerry

A Error 718 is a PPP timeout.

That indicates a PPP conversation was started, but was terminated because the remote server did not respond within an appropriate time. This can be caused by poor line quality or a problem with the server (ISP). This error can occur when your modem has connected to the ISP and has sent username and password, but there is no response from the server.

Perhpas this article will point you in the right direction.

Thank you for your help.

I'm getting a "page cannot be found" error message when I try and access the link you provided.

Is the link supposed to go do document Q181564 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base?

The link is there but you might not of noticed that you'll need to copy the whole thing to your clipboard as the links do not display fully.

You got the last two numbers backwards, its Q181546.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back