Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5 for win 95 full download? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcochran1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
US
I have been given a Win95 machine for the children to add to the network. IE 5 and outlook express have been deleted. While Netscape 7.2 will install and run, I would like to have IE 5 or 5.5 as well (whatever the highest version that will run on Win95). From microsoft's site I get linked to IE 6, but then a message that IE 6 won't load on Win 95. Does anyone know where the full download for IE 5 or 5.5 can be obtained?

Do a Google search for IE 5.5. There are sites that have all the "old" programs.

Where to get different web browsers
faq608-4540

Thanks for the leads. Does anyone know what the latest version is that can be installed on Win95? I know 6 is out, but what about IE 5.5 SP2?

MS STUFF
============================
==============================
Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 is available for download from Microsoft for Windows Millennium Edition only.

Note: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 does not support Netscape-style plug-ins. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading
Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1
Release Date: November 2, 2000
How to Obtain
Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1 is no longer available from Microsoft.

===========================================

Seems to indicate it can be used (look at bottom of page in "The information in this article applies to:") if you can find it for d/l

though this page makes NO Mention of 95
===========================================

I'd go with Mozilla/Firefox for security, ease of use and no headaches

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back