Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5 - Download - Immediate Freeze 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbrian

Programmer
Aug 16, 1999
US
I am using Internet Explorer version 5. It came with my copy of Windows 98SE. Been fine for months (years?). Two weeks ago without warning or provocation it developed a new behavior. Everytime I click on a file to download, I get an immediate lock up. I have to turn the computer off in order to get it back. I can navigate fine all over the net with IE. I can check my e-mail from within IE. But if I try to download a file - wham! Any ideas? I really have not added anything new to the machine lately. I am running a cable modem connection and it is working fine. This is the only problem I have with the machine. Thanks in advance.

Go into Add/Remove programs, select Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and hit the Add/Remove button. You'll get a small menu with the option to "Repair IE", try it.
If it fails, you will get the option to get the needed files from the internet, or just reinstall from the CD. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. When I go into Add/Remove I do not have an entry for IE. There is one for Outlook Express which I use as my e-mail client, but there is not an entry for IE. I even checked the "Windows Setup" tab and no luck there either. Any ideas?

brian.

It's actually called "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools".
This may not be an option, because you're using 98SE.
Browse the Windows CD for the IE folder, and install/reinstall from there.
Optionally, you could go to and download/install IE 5.5 which would probably fix the problem as well.
Providing you have not changed (or your ISP hasn't changed) any security/proxy settings in the last while... Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Jim's Modems:

98SE does have "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 and Internet Tools" in the Install/Uninstall of the Add/Remove Programs selection

Thank you for the responses, but I am no further along with this problem. I do not have an entry in Add/Remove for "Internet Explorer" or "Microsoft Internet Explorer..." or anything that says Internet Explorer. When I put in the Windows98SE CD I do not find a folder that says Internet Explorer so I see no way to select "Add/Remove" from the CD. I would be glad to try to install the updated Internet Explorer 5.5, but the only way to update seems to be using and interactive Install Wizard. Since I cannot download on the machine with the problem this is a Catch-22 for me. Any other ideas?

brian.

Jim,
Thanks for the steer in the direction of getting IE5.5 from the magazine. I'll look for it today. Here's hoping that installing/upgrading to 5.5 will eliminate the freeze up problem. Thanks again.

brian.

Jim,
Is the issue of MaximumPC magazine the January issue, or the February issue?

brian

Take a look on the back of the mag. It usually has some sort of list of the included progs, and AFAIK, IE5.5 and NS6 have been included on every issue since somtime last year.
If it's not included, they will give you a speil on the cover about what IS included on the CD.
I know January has it for sure... Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Jim's Modems:

Jim,
I'm sorry to be so thick about this. I got the January issue of MaximumPC magazine and popped the CD in my drive. I don't see any menu selection or folder on the CD itself that says anything about IE. I did notice that there is an Earthlink set up on the CD, is that where IE is? One more time... any help would be appreciated.

brian

Just hit the MaximumCD.exe file, it will run an installer menu for everything on the CD.
The files can be buried 5 or 6 folders deep.
The one I have has it in R:\Earthlink\Win95\Msie550 and also in R:\Mindspring\IE5\PACKAGES
If you run the .exe file, it should be in the "Internet" section under Utilities... Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Jim's Modems:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back