Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 Startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendanM

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
GB
I installed IE 5.5 as part of an ISP's connect package. The installation appeared to go ok. After installation, any attempt to run IE results in the following happening:-

a) IE starts;

b) a download transfer window opens;

c) IE closes;

d) the download window closes;

e) the sequence is repeated every couple of seconds until I stop it by quickly closing both windows.

The download window appears to be trying to get a file from a local folder, not from the Web. The filename is variable, though the local folder appears to be a cache folder in Temporary Internet Files. I have installed IE5.5 SP2, which has made no difference. I have Netscape Communicator 4.78 on the system and this works fine.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this problem would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Brendan.

As part of an ISP...Have you contacted them?

Try the Internet Explorer repair feature first. Go to Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Add/Remove Programs, scroll down until you see Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 & Internet Tools, click the Add/Remove button and select repair.

Or go to Start>Run, type msinfo32, click the Tools menu and select Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

reghakr

Thanks Reghar. I have indeed talked with the ISP and have tried the IE repair tool. The ISP says this must be an MS problem as they know nothing of it. The repair tool made no difference.

Regards,

Brendan.

Right-click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop, choose properties. What is the Home Page (address) set to?

Try typing in something like and try it again.

reghakr

The start page was set to blank. After setting it to any genuine address, such as the download tries to get that page and save it to the desktop. I believe it wants to download a program which I would then execute to enable IE, but I don't know what program it might be looking for and I don't think I need it anyway.

Correct your home page to the one you prefer, then immediately do the following:

Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet ExplorerRight-click on the Internet Explorer key, choose new>Key, name it Control Panel. Right-click on the Control Panel, chose new>DWORD value, name it Homepage. Right-click on Homepage, choose modify and type in the number 1.

This should lock your home page, so no other web site can change it.

Then navigate here and verify the homepage is correct:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
look for the Start Page entry.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back