Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 SP2 workstation asks for logon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2001
US
We have a Windows 98 IE 5.5 sp2 workstation that asks for logon credentials when visiting web pages that contain office documents on our intranet. Other machines with the same config do not.

We have tried setting to default, changing security modes on IE, to no avail. User can access pages without credential info on other machines with this same config.

Any ideas? Server is a NT 4.0 SP6a IS 4.0 with latest security fixes.

If this is stating the obvious, I apologise, but if it's asking for user name and password, it's because the user name does not match any valid one's on whatever machine is controlling access to the intranet. This could be because the pwl file is corrupt and is not saving the passwords, if you're using IIS then maybe the machine is not authenticating with the domain properly (I assume all other network services are available from the machine).

Assuming none of the above rings any bells, I would try running the repair option for IE5.5 from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

We deleted the pwl files. The machine is authenticating on the domain properly. It can access all other resources without any difficulty. We have repaired and upgraded IE without effect. Any other ideas?

Are the profiles setting in Control Panel > Passwords the same as the other machines? Also check check the other passwords to see if a different password to the normal user has been entered in Change Passwords > Other passwords.

One possibility

Go to
Internet Options
Security
Local Intranet
Custom Level
User Authentication (scroll to the very end)
Logon

'Prompt for user name and password' should not be checked

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back