Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 crashes when opening PDF files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hargreavesk

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
GB
Does anyone know why it would do this?

It will open some but not others. I have checked the size of the files but they are not really big. The error is a memory error but I have 384mb in the PC. Is there anything else I may be missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kate

What version of Acrobat Reader are you using? IE uses an ActiveX Control called pdf.ocx to open PDF files within the browser. Where this setting is called from is deep within the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}\InprocServer32

I noticed that Acrobat Reader 5 does not seem to update the path to the correct location of the ActiveX control file sometimes. But I don't know which version you are using.

If you don't want to mess with the registry you could try making a change in Acrobat Reader settings to not have PDF files open in the browser.
joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back