Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.0 Disabled in W98 Clients...How to Undo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasguy

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
We have 6 remote sites on a 56K WAN that had been originally set up with internet access through the WAN disabled. I've refurbed several of them and on THOSE IE works through our WAN to the internet. I've run the internet wizard to no avail. My question is, how do I get the remaining machines to connect to the internet without a rebuild? What was commonly done 2 years ago to block IE access to the internet?

Thanks

Sorry, maybe its late, but I'm not quite clear on some of the wording you use...

Are you saying there are some machines that connect to your WAN and use some gateway on the WAN (and can get on the internet that way), but can't get on the internet on their own (on a separate connection)?

Or, are you saying they can get on the WAN, but not the internet through your WAN's gateway to the internet?

A little confused, some clarification would be appreciated.

Matt J.

To clarify, when our WAN was designed, it was determined that internet access from the client machine would be restricted to terminal service sessions. The desktop IE would NOT connect to the internet through our WAN. Now, the CEO wants that restriction removed. At first I thought that the router at each site was blocking port 80 but such is not the case as new machines have no problem connecting through our WAN. I've been told that the consultant that set us up tweaked windows or IE to effect this restriction and since he's no where to be found I'm seeking information as to what possibly might have been done before I resort to rebuilding all my client machines.

Thanks

Solved my own problem. DNS was not enabled. Enabled DNS on the clients and point to our dns server and our isp's dns servers. Works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back