Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 11 Compat Mode & @font-face with woff 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

Is there anything I can do about IE not loading woff fonts via @font-face when the browser is in compatibility mode?

I need the fonts to load regardless, is this possible?

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Other than not use IE??? :)

"Compatibility mode" == IE v5, IE v6 or IE v7 and as those were undoubtedly THE "second worst" browsers ever cobbled together (the first being Netscape Navigator v4) so as they were dead and almost buried before "@font-face" was even devised, ... No it's not possible, or at best highly improbable.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

err, what version of IE does IE11 Compat mode run?

I thought it was IE9, surely it can't be IE7 , that would be crazy?

I stuck
Code:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />
in the head and at least now it forces buttons into view that were covering each other without it, so at least the page now kind of works.

I guess I need to add a fall-back font-family, something our graphic designer won't be happy about, we didn't but the woff font licences for nothing MS!!!!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

No idea off-hand what the 'default' is in IE 11 as I gave up on Windows quite a while back and

surely it can't be IE7 , that would be crazy?
this is M$ we are talking about where crazy is par for the course.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

aint that the truth!

After a little jiggery, pokery I opted for Garamond as the fall-back font as it is the smallest cross-platform web safe font I could find.

Typically the graphic designer chose a font (FolioBC) that is really small (condensed) so had to use larger font sizes in the CSS which looked ugly and huge when IE was defaulting to what ever it was (Times New Roman I assume?).

It's not great but at least the page is now usable for those who might be in compatibility mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back