Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Idnetifying who owns an IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Italian

Technical User
Dec 7, 2001
US
I recentlyinstalled a firewall and get alerts about who is trying to connect to my machine. It gives the IP address and I would like to find out who they belong to to determine whether they are safe or a possible hacker.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

The Italian

may have found an answer.

Here is a Website that can trace an IP address and most of the time give you the host:

Anybody use this one or have a comment on is or a better one to use?

Thanks,

The Italian

just run a "dig 10.10.10.10" command on a Linux machine or an "nslookup 10.1.1.1" command on w2k and that will resolve hostnames from IP addresses. "No hacker is worth missing a Dead concert for" - c.s.

Jevansau99

I'm not sure what you are suggesting I do. Can you give me more specific directions? I am not a technical person, but have a reasonable understanding.

Thanks,

The Italian

ok, if you're not technical, chances are you are running windows right? click start -> run -> type "cmd" in the dialog box. when the command window opens just type "nslookup xx.xx.xx.xx" where X equals the IP number. this will spit the hostname out, if its a registered DNS name. "No hacker is worth missing a Dead concert for" - c.s.

does analog data takes less bandwidth or digital ?

what is the primary advantage of transmitting data or voice digitally ?

thankyou.

There is a website that will tell you which DOMAIN the IP address came from.

Go to: Type in the IP address in the search box. It will give you theprovider that the IP belongs to.

If you have a date/time, you may be able to get the provider to give you the information about who was logged in on that IP on that Date/time.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back