Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IdleTask in scheduled tasks log

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlmll

Technical User
Dec 14, 2000
FR
Hi,

When I look at my scheduled tasks log (c:\windows\DchedLgU.txt), it's full of lines like this one :

"IdleTask" (TaskIdX)

where X can be = to 1, 2, 3, 5...

I have no such task in the scheduled tasks list though...

What is this ? Can it be disabled ? (for it fills my log with this trash)

FWIW : I'm on XP Home

TIA,

MLL

Idletasks run because Windows rearranges files (boot files for prefetching etc.) when your system is idle. This is good, because it makes your boot faster and your app start also faster since XP analyses disk access patterns for app launching and rearranges files accordingly every 3 days.

But if you find this difficult for the logging, simply disable the task scheduler service. Then you can run "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" to run the idle tasks if it has been three days. Alternatively, simply defrag, but it'll take longer.

Have phun :)

OK, thanks for the tip, now I know what's the IdleTask stuff.

But can I prevent it from being logged in c:\windows\DchedLgU.txt (for it fills it with trash, and pushes out my own sheduled tasks logs) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back