Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Idle ports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakshmivaragan

Programmer
Sep 30, 2003
IN
I did netstat -na | grep -i idle
Got lot of idle ports listed.
I understand that though idle, these ports still hold the resources.
Nearly 300 such ports are listed.

Is there a way / tool available to close these idle ports?

Sysinfo:
$ uname -a
SunOS xxx 5.10 Generic_127112-10 i86pc i386 i86pc

I remember a similar question/discussion a while ago. Have you tried the 'Search' facility? (Hint: use 'ports' as the search string).

I hope that helps.

Mike

The previous posts were about closing the ports that were opened and bound to a particular process.

I'm concerned about the idle ports.
These ports are not bound (LISTEN) by any application.
These are ports that are just open and idle.
Though idle, these ports take up resources.

My question is about closing such ports.
Is there any tool available?

Can you post some examples? What protocol are they listed under?

Annihilannic.

I'd check to see what's using the port before I closed it - you might shoot yourself in the foot otherwise and close something you really need running. That said, you can use lsof to find out what has the port open (i.e. lsof -i :<port number>). If you're running sol 9 or earlier and inetd has the port open, you'll need to edit inetd.conf and then hup inetd. In sol 10 (i.e. SMF) you'd use "svcadm disable <service>". If the port wasn't opened with inetd or SMF you use can kill -9 on the proc.

I'm having the same type of problem and I have ports idle 1013-1020 open. They closed after a reboot yesterday and are now open this morning. Any suggestions? I posted this question as a new topic before seeing this entry.

Thanks

THe ports are UDP ports and the server is sparc solaris 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back