Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

idle pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicasa

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
ES
HI All,

I need to create an automatic logout for partly completed form pages with retention of any entered data. What I have in mind is a javascript based (page reload) logout after say 10 mins of a page being left idle. Do you have any better ideas ?

Also, after logging in again, how could the user return to that form and have displayed any previously entered data .. ? Not an easy one !

One last question: how can php/javascript be used to detect page activity (or idle pages) ?

Any advice or links would be appreciated,

Steven M

I need to create an automatic logout for partly completed form pages with retention of any entered data. What I have in mind is a javascript based (page reload) logout after say 10 mins of a page being left idle. Do you have any better ideas ?
a simple timer could be used:

window.setTimeout('myLogoutFunction()', 1000 * 60 * 10);
Also, after logging in again, how could the user return to that form and have displayed any previously entered data .. ? Not an easy one !
one way would be to store it in cookies if it's under 4k
One last question: how can php/javascript be used to detect page activity (or idle pages) ?
the simple way is to use a plain timer. if the user navigates from the page before the timer then the timer is automatically destroyed.

a more complex method could involve listening for mouse movement and/or keystrokes.

-jeff
lost: one sig, last seen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back