Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying WITH [NO] CHECK OPTION status programatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrogan

MIS
Oct 8, 2001
GB
Hi all

Is there a way to determine if a referential constraint is declaredWITH CHECK OPTION or WITH NO CHECK OPTION - programmatically - without writing a parser for the originating DDL?

This attribute appears to be lacking in the Data Dictionary tables, which leads me to think that the value is (probably) stored in the table header. If this is the case, how can I get at it?

Any thoughts, views (or even answers!) much appreciated.

BRgds
J.

AFAIK there's no way to get that info with a SELECT, as you already mentioned, it's stored only within the table header :-(

If the FK is a named constraint there's a column "State" returned by "help constraint tablename.fkname", which contains e.g. VALID/VALIDSOFT/VALIDBATCH, this is much easier to parse than the DDL.

And constraint names are stored within dbc.ConstraintNames:
sel * from dbc.ConstraintNames
where ConstraintType = 'R'

But if the FK has no name...

Dieter

Thanks Dieter,

You just confirmed by worst fears. I don't suppose you have the C struct for a table header handy...? :(

Regards
J.

Even if knew the C struct of a table header it would be useless, because it can't be accessed using C or any other programming language.
The only tool to access that information is probably Filer and you really don't want to deal with that ;-)

Dieter

Dieter

I concede it probably wouldn't be easy, but even Filer was written in something.

That aside, I find it limiting that details of a key feature of the database is unavailable in the DD/D. Almost everything else is there...

Kind regards
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back