Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying open files

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
Ok, ready for this.... we went from a Novell 3.12 platform to Windows 2000 server - amazing what can be done with a modern NOS!

Question: There was a handy feature on my Novell server that allowed me to see user's open files. I'm trying to find a similar feature in w2k. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Try start run, mmc. add and remove snap-ins. Theres a location there for open files and shares. I'm in a bit of a hurry so I can't give you the exact local, but it's there. Start there. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Common sense is an instinct for the truth."
Max Jacobs (1876-1944); French writer.

This may be something like what you're looking for...

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Shared Folders > Open Files

or if you prefer using mmc, use the fsmgmt.msc snapin - it opens up the same thing. You can even double-click the .msc file directly (it's in the system32 folder).

Darts [morning]

Thanks guys, exactly what I was after...

That's it Darts, just another way of getting there. Start, Run, MMC, add remove snap-ins. Select Shared Folders, type in which server you want, then choose all, you'll get open files, shares and sessions. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Common sense is an instinct for the truth."
Max Jacobs (1876-1944); French writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back