Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identify fields not updated due to Type Conversion Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cariengon

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
US
When running an update query, is there a way to return what fields weren't updated when you receive a Type Conversion Error? I have a huge excel spreadsheet that is the source of the information that has been imported into an existing table. It'll take me forever to identify the fields that are bad...

Thanks,
Carie

Try the following.

With Access 2003 it works. Not sure with older versions.

When you do a manual import and there are type conversion errors a new table is created "tblname_ImportErrors" that contains the type of error, the field and the row with the error.

This will happen for ALL fields in ALL records, and it makes it very easy to identify the values in error.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

I actually did this as a two step process. The table I imported to is identical to the final table that I update - and is how I thought I'd catch the errors. I did get the import errors for some fields for the initial import and was able to identify them as you noted above. What I don't get is that I would have additional fields that won't update into the final table when the field types and sizes are the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back