Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identify culprit from Accelar filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobs

Programmer
Jul 16, 2003
US
I'm having major chatter problems on my LAN, and I solved the issue temporarily by filtering certain protocols on the Accelar using the IP Traffic-Filter. When I drop all ICMP packets, the congestions calms down...I'd like to know what host on my network is generating all the network chatter. I'm using Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor, and I can see which interface and how many discards, but how can I see a list of what was discarded?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Josh

Use a Sniffer. Here you can get sniffer software for you PC:
If the packets are flooded on the LAN, you can connect the sniffer on any port in the network. If not, you can do a port mirroring on the switch.

Then you should see the traffic you wants to stop. Then you can filter on the mac address. Then you may see the IP address, and that might help you. If not, you can check the forwarding tables in the switches, and then find the switch port that the equipment is connected to.

Good luck!

Regards
G. Tomte

- Nortel Networks, Routers, switches
- Alteon
- CacheFlow
- Blue Coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back