Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identify an old pos terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nflutter

Technical User
Aug 7, 2005
GB
have laid my hands on an ancient pos terminal, I'm trying to identify it so I can get printer drivers for the built in thermal printer. It is badged as an ICL machine and the ident plate says the model is nexPOS Elite. Obviously searched the net and found very little. All I've found is another company, innovision, with a terminal called a nexpos elite, it looks identical to my system but the internal components are different - it has a colour screen and a dot matrix printer (you can see the Innovision version by following this link ). The printer head mechanism in mine is made by Citizen, model LT380H, but I cannot work out the control board. The only marking on the cotrol board is the number EBL-0344, it has got a couple of Epson chips on it but cant tell anything else. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me in getting a driver to run this printer or any other info on the terminal

This is a long shot, but you could try searching under fujitsu. I use to work on an old register system that had ICL on it but it ran on fujitsu written software. Maybe someone else here is familiar with the DTS2100 serires registers, late 70's early 80's. Just a shot in the dark. Hope it gets you in the right direction.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

I remember one of the companies I worked for that sold and repair the ICL units, years back... and as you suggested, I would suspect it is quite old. We also worked on the DTS machines, 2100 series, but I believe they ran on a modified software interface.

Another thing you might want to do is call some of the local POS companies in your area, that work on cash registers. If you ask good questions and our as clear as possible about what you need, they are your best bet for finding out which direction to head.

Not telling you anything you don't know here, but your real strategy should be convincing your customer to ditch this dinasour. However, I know that's easier said than done.

Good luck!

I only worked on a few of the 2100 series, and had a few fine dining restaurants that used the 2170 series. Back then I wasn't as technical as I am now, I just remember that they where DTS machines, with an ICL logo on them and a Fujitsu logo on them. I thought I remembered someone saying the reason their logo was on there was because they had something to do with the base software writing. Either way they had something to do with them. They were on their way out the door when I started working POS. I remember that they ran pretty good and where easily networked. The print mechs on the other hand where another issue. All field techs carried two or three for spares. You are the first person that have ran into in the last 5 years who has heard of them.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back